Saturday, February 21, 2009

Happy 90th Birthday Grandma!

On Thursday February 19th my Grandmother turned 90 years old. Talk about seeing a lot of changes throughout her life! She is an amazing woman and she holds such a special place in my heart. She has been faced with many situations that most of us will never experience. I love to hear her tell stories about her childhood and the things she had to do as a young girl. All I can say is I am grateful I was born when I was! I really don't think I could have handled the potty pot or the outhouse in the middle of the winter(or anytime for that matter)! I seriously can't imagine doing laundry by hand and having it hung all over the house when it couldn't be hung outside. I am grateful that our family can just hop in the car and go without rounding up a team of horses to make a trek somewhere. She is always expressing her gratitude for modern day conveniences. She definitely has taught the lesson on not taking things for granted. I admire her love for the gospel and her family. Throughout her life she has always thought of others before herself.

We had a family party in honor of her today. It was wonderful to celebrate her life and to see so many of the cousins! Some cousins put together a wonderful video of pictures throughout grandmas life and a cook book with some of her "famous" recipes for each of the grand kids and great grand kids. I am so grateful that I have such a special and close relationship with her. A few words to describe my grandma are; strong, obedient, loving, talented, faithful, example, frugal, teacher, hard worker, homemaker, wonderful cook, giving, and determined. She has taught me so many different lessons through out my life.
I am also grateful for the relationship my daughters have with their great grandmother. They call her "Grammy Great" because she is GREAT! They love the little saying she tells them when we are leaving from a visit. She says, "I love you ,a bushel and a peck"! Meaning: I love you a whole lot plus a little more!

I had to get a picture with all the girls. Our oldest daughter is named after grandma Alice. It's interesting how similar they are in their likes and interests. We love you Grammy Great!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

K.D. and Megan said...

Grammy is such an amazing person. I dont know how to express to people how much I love her, she took me in as I was one of her own. I had not had a grandma for a long time and she has made me feel that she is my grandma. She has done so much for me and I dont know if I could ever repay her for her love. I cant believe she is 90. I also love her stories. I love you guys and thanks for making me part of your family,we did not make it over to the party, but Will has a really bad cough, I hope he gets over it soon and we will go spend a evening with her.

Mubeen said...

Very sweet post! It's so awesome to have a grandmother who you and your kids can look up to and love so much! Glad you guys had a great time! Very cute picture of you girls!

Melissa said...

What a neat Grandma. I am so glad your girls know and have such a good relationship with thier grandma. I love the 4 generation picture.

Jen said...

Very cute photos! You guys re lucky to live so close to Grandma. We had fun visiting at the party. Hope to see you again soon!