Thursday, August 4, 2011

Parade & Annual Water Fight

Posted by PicasaThis years state holiday fell on a Sunday, so a lot of the towns festivities were held on Monday. We started our day off by watching the parade. I witnessed something I have never seen before. When the parade began and the American Flag approached us we all stood up and put our hand over our hearts. As the horseman carrying the flag passed by , I heard him yell, "STAND UP! This is your countries flag!" I was shocked to look over and witnessed a whole group of people still sitting down as the flag passed right in front of them. I became saddened and upset at the same time knowing that people were choosing not to honor and respect our countries flag! By standing for the flag, we honor our country, and those who attempt to serve it in so many different ways. It gives me great appreciation for where I live and the freedoms I am privileged to enjoy! It's sad that those who live and enjoy the "land of the free" wont stand up and support it. :(

As the parade continued I wasn't quite sure what to think about the local county jails entry. A few men in jump suits were riding in the back of a truck as an entry for the parade. That's definitely something we don't want to encourage! The kids were a little disappointed to find out that no one was allowed to throw out candy. During the parade my dear friend Donna walked by with a bag full of candy. Her son was in the parade and had purchased candy to throw, only to find out that he couldn't. Donna started unloading her candy on my kids. Before we knew it she was surrounded by multiple groups of kids kids hoping to get a piece of candy. Donna always saves the day! She's awesome!
After the parade we went over to Matt and Janette's house for our annual BBQ and water fight! This is one of many favorite traditions! It must be the kids satisfaction in drenching the parents! Matt purchased some surgical tubing so we could somewhat have a chance fighting back! Surgical tubing was the water toy from my era! We had some interesting and troubling times with those growing up! Three feet of tubing filled with water quickly turned into about twelve feet! It was awesome! Adam and I turned them loose on the kids! It made it all worth it!

1 comment:

Mubeen said...

I wish we could be there for all these fun events!!!
PS. Sorry I haven't called you back-CRAZY BUSY week!! I'll call next week!