Monday, May 18, 2009

Un avant-gout de Belgique!

Bruges Waffles and Frites(fries)! Adam took the family to a new place to experience a little part of his mission in Belgium. He heard from a former missionary companion that there was a new place in SLC that just opened with authentic Belgium waffles and frites! If any of you know someone that has been there, this food is the talk of many conversations! It actually entertaining to watch people get so excited about these! Adam was patient as long as he could stand and decided to take us there for family night. Call us crazy, but yes we drove to downtown SLC for fries and waffles! Watching him in the car was pretty funny. I had to tell him to slow down more than once:)!
When we walked in the owner was sooo friendly! I loved his accent! He talked to the kids and myself and then after Adam told him that he had lived in Belgium the rest was history. As you can guess from then on we had no clue what they were talking about:)! It was really cool to hear the two of them talk back and forth in french! We don't get to hear Adam talk like that very often. I'm sure the girls and I had puzzled looks on our faces because every now and then they would laugh and say something in English to us.
Adam and his frites! Adam said that many times he and his companion would stop and buy these on their way home from tracking. He said the sauces were to die for! Their fry sauces are nothing like the typical American fry sauce. I have to agree! The sauces were excellent! The fries were excellent as well! They are cooked twice. They cook the fies and lay them out to cool, then right before they serve then to you they cook them again which makes the center really soft and the outside very crunchy! Yummy!
Everyone enjoying their frites! The girls loved the idea that they are served in cones and with a small fork.
After the frites we experienced the authentic Belgium waffle! They make the dough with large sugar crystal mixed through out! I guess that is what they are know for(waffles and of course chocolate). The owner has sugar crystals imported from Belgium so they are the real deal! He even had imported Belgium chocolate! Can you guess what Adam and the girls had on their waffles? Yep, chocolate and fresh strawberries! I chose the plain and it was sooooo good!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Yum! The fries & waffles look so good! We'll have to try it out the next time we're in Salt Lake. I'm sure Adam will take you there as often as he can. :)
You're garden looks so good!

Mubeen said...

Yummy!!! When we come up next, you have to take us! Adam's such a kid sometimes, like Caleb, hehe.

rayndrop said...

that is so cool. i'll bet adam was just beaming! it really makes me hungry. i'm going to have to tell gene.