Grammy Great says that one of her enjoyments in life is to listen to the girls play songs on the piano for her. The piano that sits in our living room was handed down from Great herself! About sixty years ago Grammy Great purchased the piano for $500.00. She was a working widow trying to make ends meet and raising three young children on her own. She said it took her many months of saving to be able to purchase it. My grandmother is one of the most frugal women I have ever know. She has never had a lot of material things. She has told us that throughout her life she has always had to ask herself this question when it came to purchasing something: "Is it a want or a need?" She said 99% of the time she had to pass on things that she wanted in order to get by every month. This piano was something she thought would benefit her home. When she tells us about how she had to sacrifice for the piano It makes it even more special. My mom played the piano and it was eventually given to her. A few years ago my mother passed it to me so the girls could learn to play. I love watching the enjoyment grandma has as she hears the girls play. Every time she comes the girls know that they have to play for her. Grammy will sit in the chair for as long as the girls will play for her. The other day I went down to her house and brought her back here for a few hours. She sat and listened to the music they played. As I was watching her I noticed tears running down her cheeks. I asked her if she was okay or if she needed anything? She said to me, "I'm fine. Listening to the girls makes the sacrifice that much more worth it." She had me crying at that moment! She always tells the girls to keep up with it and to practice hard. I am so grateful for our girls in working hard to develop their talents and then using their talents to bring joy to others!
Monday, June 25, 2012
A Sacrifice that Pays Off!
Grammy Great says that one of her enjoyments in life is to listen to the girls play songs on the piano for her. The piano that sits in our living room was handed down from Great herself! About sixty years ago Grammy Great purchased the piano for $500.00. She was a working widow trying to make ends meet and raising three young children on her own. She said it took her many months of saving to be able to purchase it. My grandmother is one of the most frugal women I have ever know. She has never had a lot of material things. She has told us that throughout her life she has always had to ask herself this question when it came to purchasing something: "Is it a want or a need?" She said 99% of the time she had to pass on things that she wanted in order to get by every month. This piano was something she thought would benefit her home. When she tells us about how she had to sacrifice for the piano It makes it even more special. My mom played the piano and it was eventually given to her. A few years ago my mother passed it to me so the girls could learn to play. I love watching the enjoyment grandma has as she hears the girls play. Every time she comes the girls know that they have to play for her. Grammy will sit in the chair for as long as the girls will play for her. The other day I went down to her house and brought her back here for a few hours. She sat and listened to the music they played. As I was watching her I noticed tears running down her cheeks. I asked her if she was okay or if she needed anything? She said to me, "I'm fine. Listening to the girls makes the sacrifice that much more worth it." She had me crying at that moment! She always tells the girls to keep up with it and to practice hard. I am so grateful for our girls in working hard to develop their talents and then using their talents to bring joy to others!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment